This article will show you different ways to write text vertically in a Word document. You will be able to change text directions or the orientation of text in Microsoft Word. It is easy to write text vertically in Microsoft Word and Excel. Read the steps of how to create text vertically in Microsoft Word using WordArt or a text box.
Table of contents
Create text vertically in Word using WordArt
You can always change the orientation of your text in Microsoft Word by following the steps below.
- First, go to the Insert tab at the top of your Word document.
- Go to the Text group in the ribbon > Then click on the WordArt icon.
Once you click on the WordArt icon, it will open a selection of different styles. You can click on each one of these 15 A’s.
Click on any letter A > The WordArt box opens in your Word document. Inside the box, it says, Your text here. You may have noticed that the Drawing Tools tab appeared at the top of the document.
Start writing text inside the box. We have written the word; Unbelievable. Now follow the steps below to create text direction vertically in Microsoft Word.
- Click on your text in your WordArt box to open the Drawing Tools tab.
- Go to Drawing Tools tab > Format.
- Then go to the Text group in the ribbon under the Format tab.
- Click on the Text Direction icon > You can select one of the three options: horizontal, rotate all text 90°, and rotate all text 270°.
If you like to see the preview of these text directions, you can continue with the steps below. Click on Text Direction Options to see the options.
- It will automatically open the Text Direction – Text Box.
- Under Orientation, you can click on one of the three different boxes. Once you click on it, you can see the preview on the right.
- Click OK if you are satisfied with the changes.
The text will automatically change into the position you have chosen in the text box. This is a way to write text vertically in Microsoft Word.
Write text vertically using a Text box
You can also create text vertically in Microsoft Word using a text box. This is almost the same as the WordArt box. It is easy to open a text box by following the steps below.
- First, go to the Insert tab at the top of your Word document.
- Then go to the Text group in the ribbon > Click on the Text Box icon.
- Click on the first icon called Simple Text Box.
It will insert a simple text box in your Word document. Now you can write text inside the text box.
We have written the same word again; Unbelievable. Once you are finished, you can resize the text box by selecting one of the four bullet points on the edges. Click on one of the text box’s edges and drag it to the left or right to make it smaller. It will change the order of the letters.
If you clicked on the down-right corner then you should drag it to the left and down. It will automatically change the letters to the next line as the box narrows. The picture below shows you how the letters will be stacked under each other.
Change the text direction in a table
If you have created a table in your Word document, you can also write text vertically. It can help you to make a table look smaller. Read the steps below to change text directions in a table in Microsoft Word.
Before you start doing anything, you must have inserted a table in your Word document. Read the article on how to insert a table in Microsoft Word if you don’t know it. Once you have inserted a table, you can follow the guidelines below.
- Start by clicking on the cell that you want to rotate vertically in your table.
- Then go to the Table Tools at the top of the document > Click on Layout.
- Go to the Alignment group in the ribbon.
- Here you can click on Text Direction. If you keep clicking on the Text Direction icon, the text will change direction. There are three different options; vertically upwards, horizontal, and vertically downwards.
Rotate text direction of multiple cells in a table
If you want to change the text direction of multiple cells, you can do this under the Table Tools tab. Follow the steps below to rotate the text inside a table.
- First, you should select the text of a table.
- Go to the Layout tab under Table Tools.
- Then click on the Text Direction icon in the Alignment group till you are satisfied. If you keep clicking, it will return the text to the original state.
The picture below shows you the steps to change the orientation of the text of multiple cells inside a table in Microsoft Word. You can see that the Text Direction icon is now facing vertically downwards. The small icon next to it shows the text’s alignment, which tells you where to place it in a cell. There are nine options to choose from: top, bottom, left, center, or right in a cell. In our case, it is called Align Top Right.
Align text vertically in Microsoft Word
It is better to align the text after you change the text direction. Luckily, there are nine icons to click on, which you can find in the Alignment ribbon. After you decide on the text direction, you should choose the text alignment. It is divided into three rows, where you can Align Top, Center, or Bottom. Each row is divided into three columns to change text alignment to the Left, Center, or Right of a cell.
The picture below shows you a different direction and alignment of the text. Read the steps to understand how you can easily align text inside a table.
- Select the text in a single cell or multiple cells.
- Go to Layout under Table Tools.
- Then click on the Text direction until the text is facing vertically upwards.
- Thereafter you can click on the small icons on the left of the Text Direction. Select one of the nine small icons to align the text. We have chosen Align Center.
Write text vertically in an Excel spreadsheet
Excel does have a format option for writing text vertically. Therefore you can try to open an Excel spreadsheet in your Word document.
Go to the Insert tab> Click on the Table icon> Select Excel spreadsheet. The picture below shows you how to get there. Thereafter it will automatically insert an Excel spreadsheet in your Word document.
Your Word document will look different, as you can write inside the small Excel spreadsheet. The picture below shows the look of your Word document after you inserted the Excel spreadsheet. Now you can see how to write or create text vertically in Microsoft Word with an Excel spreadsheet.
Now you have to open the Format Cells box to write text vertically in Excel. Before you start, you need to write some text in a cell.
- Right-click on the cell that contains the text you want to rotate.
- Select Format Cells.
- Or use the keyboard shortcut by pressing: CTRL + 1
It will open the Format Cells box like the picture beneath. There are a few changes you have to make to change the text vertically.
- First, you have to click on the Alignment tab on the top.
- Then go to Orientation on the right > Click on the left picture to find Text written horizontally. It will change from the color white to black.
- Click OK to confirm the changes.
The picture below shows you how to write text vertically with one character on each line in Microsoft Word. Remember that you can follow the same steps if you want to write text vertically in an Excel spreadsheet.
Change the orientation of text
You can also click on the orientation button to rotate your text diagonally or vertically. Open your Word document and insert an Excel spreadsheet. Or you can open an Excel document and follow the same steps. Before you start, you need to write text in a cell in your Excel spreadsheet.
- First, you have to be in the Home tab.
- Now, go to the Alignment group in the ribbon. Then click on the orientation button.
- Select Vertical Text.
By default, you can see the cells’ gridlines, which are the gray borders lines around the cells. If you print your Word document, you will not see the gray lines on the paper. If you still want to remove the gridlines, you can do this in the Format Cells box.
- Select the entire Excel spreadsheet by clicking on the upper-left corner. Or double-click inside the Excel spreadsheet to edit.
- Then right-click on the selected spreadsheet > Select Format Cells.
- It will open the Format Cells box. Go to the Fill tab at the top.
- Under Background Color > Select the color white.
- Click OK.
The vertical text will look like the picture below in Word, with the letters keeping their normal orientation. If you click outside the Excel spreadsheet, you will only see the text written without any lines.
It is easy to write text vertically in Microsoft Word. You can also write text vertically in Excel or by inserting an Excel spreadsheet in your Word document. Then you can click on the orientation button to change the text in Microsoft Word. You can even rotate text inside a table by using the text direction button under Table Tools.