It could be very useful to add a header or footer in your Word document.…
In the previous article, you learned how to insert a table in Word. Now, you will learn how to delete a row from a table in Word. There are many different ways to delete a row or column from a table. If you can delete a row from a table, you can also delete a column in a table in Word. Learn how to remove all borders from a table in Words. All the steps are explained in detail, and it is easy to follow them.
Table of contents
- Delete a row or column in a table in Word in many options
- How to remove all borders from a table in Word
Delete a row or column in a table in Word in many options
It is easy to delete a row or column in a table in Word. Microsoft‘s site only shows one method to delete a row or column in a table. Actually, there are multiple methods to remove an extra row or column in a table, as explained in this article.
Select a row or column in the table
The easiest way to delete an entire row or column in a table is to start by selecting the area you want to delete.
- Select an entire row or column.
- Then press on backspace on your keyboard, and the row or column will be deleted.
You can also right-click on the selected row and select Delete Rows as shown in the below picture.
In the example below, we have selected a column > Right-click on the selected column > Then choose Delete Columns.
Right-click on a cell in the table
If you want to delete a row in the table, you can right-click on any cell in that particular row. You don’t have to select any cell, row, or column. Let’s try to delete the second row of the table, highlighted in the picture below.
Right-click anywhere in the highlighted row that you want to delete > Then click on Delete Cells.
A new box called Delete Cells shows up, with many options. There you can select Delete entire row and click on OK. It will delete the second row.
How to delete a row or column in a table with the Mini Toolbar
If you right-click on a cell in the table, the Mini Toolbar will appear in your Word document. When you select anything in the table, the Mini Toolbar will only be available if you have turned it on. If you want to turn this option on, you can easily do this in Word.
- Click on File at the top of your Word document, and you will be directed to another page.
- On the left side, click on More… in the left down corner.
- Then select Options.
- The box named Word Options opens in your Word document.
- You have to be in General on the left list.
- Then tick on Show Mini Toolbar on selection.
- Lastly, click on OK.
Now you have turned on the Mini Toolbar. Every time you select a cell, row, or column, the Mini Toolbar appears.
In the example below, we have right-clicked on the cell named Smith. You can also select the cell in your table to make the Mini Toolbar appear.
- Click on the Delete icon in the Mini Toolbar.
- Choose Delete Rows, and this will delete the highlighted row.
In the Mini Toolbar, you can also click on Delete Columns. This time, it will delete the entire column that is highlighted in the below picture.
Delete a row or column from a table using the Table Tools
If you click on a cell in your table, you can see that Table Tools appears at the top of your Word document. Let’s try to delete the second row in the example below.
- First, you have to click on a cell in the second row of your table. It can be any cell that is highlighted in the example below.
- Click on Layout under Table Tools.
- Then click on the Delete icon in the ribbon.
- Here you can select Delete Rows, and it removes the entire second row.
Let’s say that you want to delete the last column (Age) in the example shown below.
- Start by clicking on a cell in the last column in the table. You can click on any highlighted cell in the picture shown below.
- Then click on Layout under Table Tools.
- Click on the Delete icon in the ribbon.
- Choose Delete Columns, and it deletes the entire highlighted column.
How to remove all borders from a table in Word
You can remove the borders from a table in two different options. Find out which option you like to use most.
Remove borders with the mini toolbar
First, you have to select the entire table in your Word document. You can do this by clicking on the plus icon on the top left corner of your table. Then you have to right-click on your table, and the mini toolbar will appear. Here you can go to No Border to see the preview of the table. If you click on it, then the borders will disappear. Remember that you can always customize the borders of your table.
Remove borders in Table Tools
You can easily remove all borders from a table in Word. When you select the entire table, you can see Table Tools at the top of your Word document.
- Go to Table Tools
- Click on Design > Here, you can change the borders.
- Click on the icon Borders in the ribbon. You will see an entire selection.
- Now you can move the mouse cursor on No Borders to see the preview.
- If you are satisfied, click on No Border.
You have successfully learned how to delete a row or column from a table in Word. There are different methods to delete a row or column in a table. The easiest way is to select an entire row or column and click on backspace on your keyboard. For more options, you can right-click on a cell and use the Mini Toolbar or Table Tools.