Maybe you have tried to make a list of names or titles, but you did…
This article shows you how to insert a line for signature in Word. There are different methods to insert a horizontal line in Microsoft Word. You can easily add a line in Word for signatures by using AutoFormat. You can also insert a signature line in Word to show the recipient where to sign.
Table of contents
How to insert a horizontal line in Microsoft Word
It would be best if you first started adding a line to show where to write the signature. It also looks more professional to see a line when you sign it electronically. We will show you two methods to insert a horizontal line in a Word document.
Use the horizontal line tool
You can easily add a line in Word for signatures in three simple steps. First, you have to click somewhere in your Word document.
- You have to click on the Home tab.
- In the Paragraph group, click on the arrow in the borders icon in the ribbon.
- Now select Horizontal Line, and it will appear on your document, like in the picture below.
You can change the format of the line if you want to choose a different style.
- Double-click on the horizontal line to change the format of the line.
- A new box called Format Horizontal Line opens up.
- Here you can change the width, height, color, and alignment of the line.
- Click OK to confirm.
In the below picture, we have inserted two horizontal lines to show the difference. The color of the second line is formatted to a solid black color. Make changes in the Format Horizontal Line box and click OK to see your horizontal line’s final result.
Insert a line in a Word document with AutoFormat
You can quickly insert a line into a Word document by using the AutoFormat feature. This is basically a shortcut for making a horizontal line in Word. It is possible to create different types of lines by entering three symbols on your keyboard.
First, you have to place the cursor where you want to see the line to appear. Then you have to type three symbols, followed by pressing ENTER on your keyboard.
- Plain single line: Three hyphens —
- Bold single line: Three underline symbols _
- Plain double line: Three equal signs ===
- Dotted line: Three asterisks ***
- Triple line with a thick center: Three hashtags ###
- Wavy line: Three tildes ~~~
The picture below shows all the different horizontal lines with the symbols you have to enter. Don’t forget to press ENTER right after you type the symbols in the document to get the horizontal line.
If you want to make a shorter horizontal line in Word, you can make use another method. Type the underline symbol _ on your keyboard. If you press it multiple times, you can create a horizontal line as well. Write the signature and make the short line after it to make it look like the example below.
How to insert a signature line in Word
The easiest way to insert a signature line in Word does not have to be the best way. It depends on whether you want to sign a document electronically or physically. This option is not possible for everybody to sign because you need to have a digital signature. A digital signature not the same as an electronic signature because it has a specific technical authentication. Therefore it is best to use this method when signing it manually.
You can insert a signature line in five simple steps. First, you have to put your mouse cursor somewhere in your Word document.
- Click on the Insert tab.
- Now click on the icon called Add a Signature Line under the group Text in the ribbon.
- A new box called Signature Setup opens up. Write the signer’s name in the first line.
- Then write the signer’s title in the second line.
- Click OK, and the signature line with information shows on your Word document.
You can also add a blank signature line without any information written underneath in three simple clicks.
Click on the Insert tab at the top of your Word document. Now you can click on the arrow next to the icon and select Microsoft Office Signature Line. This way, the Signature Setup box will also open directly in your Word document. You can choose to leave everything blank in the Signature Setup box and click on OK. The example below shows a blank signature line with an X to show the recipient where to sign.
Remember that you can’t sign a Microsoft Office document digitally before you obtain a digital ID.
Read more: How to insert a table in a Word document
Now you know how to add a line in Word for signatures. You have learned different methods to insert a horizontal line in Microsoft Word. It is easy to insert a signature line in Word but not very useful if you can’t sign it digitally.